As the dark nights draw in and we prepare to put the clocks back, why not make the most of October by setting yourself a goal which will not only brighten up your month, but have lasting lifetime benefits. The Stoptober initiative is a great opportunity to aim to achieve the goal of giving up smoking.
Those that have started this challenge and are still going strong, well done! 15 days in and you are doing fantastic! Here are some top tips to help you stay motivated and keep you on track to achieve your goal:
- Keep your eyes on the prize – you have already proven to yourself that you have the will power and motivation to do this by getting this far, so take each day as it comes, and set realistic daily goals, with each passing day, the achievement of your smoking cessation goal is getting closer.
- Support – it’s good to talk! Talk to those around you, use every bit of support you are able to get / feel that you need, it will help keep you on the straight and narrow!
- Rewards – a very important and often overlooked element, don’t forget to reward yourself with the fruits of your labour. Use the money you’ve saved by not buying cigarettes to treat yourself when you reach important milestones along the way to your end goal. What will you do with all that extra money each and every week once you’ve stopped smoking completely?
- Reflection – take a few minutes to reflect on and notice how you are feeling with the achievement so far, this is only the beginning!
- Health Benefits – we’ve already touched on the financial benefits of smoking cessation, but take a moment to remind yourself of the most important thing in all of this – your health – the benefits to your health and wellbeing will be lasting.
- Shout it from the rooftops – tell everyone – spread the word! Be loud and proud of your achievements and goals this month and beyond, it is not a small thing that you will have achieved when the day comes that you have quit smoking for good.
Finally, if you have not started yet, you can start at any time, so for more information and to sign in to the official NHS site follow this link: https://stoptober.smokefree.nhs.uk/registration-c